Saturday, October 5, 2013

House Rules: Humans

#dndnext recently released its final public playtest packet. Some people are saying that it's too soon, and the system is far from polished. I will try to avoid that conversation for now - instead, I see this as an opportunity to finally look at the system and see if it can support one of my longer-running games.

So far, I think it works. But I do believe that there are some things about the system that bug me. Fortunately, this is a tabletop RPG, where #houserules are supreme. I thnk I will enjoy this system with only a few tweaks.

So here's my first one!

HUMANS

Image owned by WotC.
For personal, nonprofit use.
Diverse replaces the humans' Ability Score Adjustment ability.

Diverse: You can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. Alternatively, if you are using the Feat optional rule, you can instead use Diverse to take a feat.

It's not exactly a monumental change (I'm pretty sure there's at least one other playtest group doing the same thing), but for me it makes sense. Some players are complaining about not getting a feat at 1st level, and this human trait caters to their wants while simultaneously making humans less of a vanilla race. I also like how it hearkens back to the 3E human, which is a nice touch.

What do you guys think? Is this enough to make humans interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment